Thursday, December 29, 2005

Whoa, Be Careful With Those Statistics

I just got my annual notification of the usual 20% medical coverage premium increase. All right already, I know I'm getting into those dangerous mature years; but still, when I remember my deductible of $5000, those monthly checks never cease to twist my gut.


[I'm an incurable photo stealer. Thank you "Kenko "for this, whoever you are.]

I realize that the CPI doesn't take medical insurance premiums into account -- probably because it does take into account the expenses that they should be based on (hospital and physician charges, prescriptions, etc.). Let's assume they are.

They also use rent as an indicator and not anything related to increasing home prices. This would seem to eliminate a lot of upward movement, but they must know what they're doing.

And then they pull gasoline out from certain calculations. I suppose the fact that the gas price fluctuates so much makes it a poor indication of what we actually have to spend...(?)

We all assume the Bureau of Labor Statistics has done its homework and knows why they have made these choices. Then again, remember what Mark Twain said? "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home